Sunday, February 04, 2007

Toasted Oat Sourdough Bread



I've been meaning to blog about this bread for very long, but I haven't really gotten around to it. It's a great bread though, and perfect if you've got some sourdough hanging around, needing to be used up. I keep sourdough in the freezer, and revive it a few days before I want to bake - it seems to work nicely for me, though I'm sure sourdough purists would frown.

This bread is really good toasted - the oatmeal is already toasted before it goes into the bread, but the extra toasting brings out the flavor, making it nutty and just perfect with slice of strong cheese, or a spoon of good marmalade.

Toasted Oat Sourdough Bread
Based on a recipe from Riddarbageriets Bröd

450 g water
120 g sourdough from rye
450 g strong wheat flour (extra protein)
150 g wholewheat flour (spelt works fine)
15 g fresh yeast
1-2 tsp golden syrup (you can substitute honey)
1 tbsp salt
40 g rolled oats, toasted (toast in a dry frying pan or in the oven until golden and fragrant)

Mix everything except for salt and oats. Work in a machine - I use my Kitchen-Aid - for 7-8 minutes. Add the salt and oats, and work for another five minutes. Remove dough to a clean bowl, and leave to rise for two hours.

Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into nice loaves. Brush with water and dust over some wholewheat flour. Move loaves to a baking sheet, and cut a pattern if you'd like. Let rise for 1-2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 250°C. Place the baking sheet in the oven, and spray with water. Lower the heat at once to 225°C. You can spray with water a few times during the baking to get a crunchier crust. The total baking time is about 25-30 minutes.

Recipe in Swedish:
Surdegsbröd med rostad havre

13 comments:

Kajsakarin said...

Brödet ser verkligen gott ut! Och katterna är så söta, om jag inte var en aning allergisk skulle jag genast tinga en! Sonen, 4 år, började gråta en dag när vi mötte en katt på gatan: -Får jag aldrig en katt nångång?! sa han när han lugnat sig något.Då värkte det i modershjärtat kan jag lova.

Kevin said...

Anne,
I'll have to try that. I don't have a rye sourdough, but I suspect my white sourdough would work as well.

Anonymous said...

Eftersom du har Riddarbageriets brödbok: Har du provat rödbetsbrödet i den? Är väldigt nyfiken på vad jag gör för fel med det brödet nämligen och om jag är den enda som konstant misslyckas med det?

Anne said...

Kajsakarin - åh, ja, det måste kännas lite tungt ja! Åhh.. :)

Kevin - absolutely, I'm sure it will.

Therese - nä, det har inte testat! Men jag kanske ska prova då - vad är det som blir fel för dig?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
www.foodfriends.com would suit your purposes to meet friends in the food industry.
Liked your bread recipe.
Guy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe.This is best for health though.

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious! I love baking my own bread - the fragrance from the oven makes it all worth the effort

Anonymous said...

Anne: Det blir ingen deg av det, utan snarare en massa mjöl som åker runt i assistenten. Själv tycker jag att det är märkligt lite vätska i brödet. Degen blir jättehård, jäser inte och brödet blir inte så mörkt utan får en trist grå färg. Om du testar det kan du väl meddela hur det blir för dig! Jag har gett det tre försök tror jag, inget har blivit bra. Underbar smak, men konsistensen och utseendet: Näe...

Anne said...

Therese, skumt. Läste receptet igår kväll - ska verkligen rödbetorna vara i skivor? Blir det inte bitar i brödet då? (Ser inte ut så på bilden, alls.) Funderar på om man skulle mixa dem först, kanske. Eller testa med färska, rivna rödbetor istället. Det känns som att det kan vara nåt sånt som är fel, kanske?

Anonymous said...

Rödbetsskivorna slås ju sönder en del i assistenten, men visst blir det bitar av dem. Det är gott med de bitar som blir inuti brödet, tristare med de som hamnar utanpå. Reagerar du också på den väldigt lilla mängden vatten? Hm, kanske ska det ETT försök till och då mixa rödbetorna innan.

Nefritite said...

Hi Anne

the bread looks really good.
Do you have a recipe for the rye sourdough? I have tried to bake sourdough breads before using Dan Lepard's book but my breads ended up being quite heavy and not airy at all.
I'd like to try this one.

Anne said...

Therese - prova, och se om det blir annorlunda. Det borde ju bli bättre vätskehalt i alla fall.

Nefritite - ooh, I haven't blogged about that yet, have I? I have a recipe for a starter, that you feed for several days. I don't know if it's great - from what I've seen in other people's pictures, it's not - but it's what I use whenever a recipe calls for sourdough. I'll try to get it up soon.

Tatter said...

Thanks for the recipe, the bread is deliciou! In fact, it is my choice for BBD#9 :D